Skip to toolbar

New Zealand Shootings

 Loud Window 
Keymaster

The death toll from the mosque shootings rose to 50 after investigators found another body at one of the mosques, said New Zealand’s Police Commissioner said on Sunday.

“It is with sadness that I advise that number of people who died in this event has now risen to 50. As of last night, we were able to take all of the victims from both of those scenes. In doing so we were able to locate a further victim,” Police Commissioner Mike Bush told a news conference.

Greg Roberston, the chief surgeon for the Canterbury district health ward said 34 people were still being treated at the hospital with 12 in intensive care.

A suspected white supremacist was charged with murder for the Christchurch shootings on Friday, in what Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called a “terrorist attack”.

A 28-year-old Australian suspect, identified as Brenton Harrison Tarrant, appeared in Christchurch district court on Saturday at 11:00 am local time.

Tarrant was charged with murder and was remanded without plea. He will return to court on April 5.

At a Sunday press conference, Ardern said the suspect will face justice in New Zealand.

Police said that the woman who had been detained the day of the attack had been released and that the other male suspect had been charged with unrelated firearms charges but that he wasn’t involved in the attack.

Authorities started to return the bodies of the dead on Sunday, said Ardern, as funeral preparations got underway. According to Islamic tradition, the dead must be buried 24 hours after passing away.

The Prime Minister added that security at mosques’ entrances would be heightened for the next few days or until the police investigation was ongoing.

#5945
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Site Menu
en_USEnglish
tr_TRTurkish en_USEnglish